Friday, February 3, 2017

Whoopee Pies

It's Friday and I couldn't be happier.  It's been a long week and I'm ready to chill out.  We have been invited to two parties this weekend which means I get to bake for both occasions.  Again, I couldn't be happier.

Last night my daughter asked me to make whoopee pies or Devil Dogs if you hail from New England.  My family have always called these sweet treats Devil Dogs.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Yep, they are good. 

Here is the recipe: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and because this batter is similar to a thick cake batter, a silicone mat is best or they will stick. 

1 cup of shortening
2 eggs
4 cups of flour
10 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking powder

Cream the shortening, butter and vanilla as shown below. Add eggs, combine well.


 Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
 Until it is well combined like this.
 Then alternatively add the buttermilk and the flour mixture to the shortening, sugar and egg mixture until it looks like this.  Yum.
 Drop onto mat using a rounded cookie scoop.  You can make these bigger or smaller, it depends on what you want.  I like to use the small cookie scoop. It ensures they all come out roughly the same size so you can sandwich them easily.
 Bake for ten minutes and they should look like this.  Slightly firm on top.
While they cool, make the frosting (the BEST part)!

Three sticks of room temperature margarine
Two pound bag of confectioner's sugar
One container of marshmallow fluff
Two teaspoons of vanilla (use clear if you want frosting to be bright white)
Mix using the whisk attachment until fluffy as shown below.



Then just sandwich this sweet goodness in between the cakes.  These don't last long in my house, my kids go nuts for them.  I love them too but try to refrain from eating too many.  Gotta keep my girlish figure.  ;)

Enjoy your weekend! ox


No comments:

Post a Comment